Thursday, September 9, 2010

San Sebastian

Tomorrow I leave California and return to Spain for a second year.

I am blessed to have secured a job in San Sebastian, in the Spanish Basque Country.  It is the ideal location: a gorgeous city built around the most beautiful bay in northern Spain, cosmopolitan, multi-lingual, beaches, surf, close to France and the Pyrenees, and full of culture and life.  My favorite facts about San Sebastian - it has the most Michelan-starred restaurants per capita and the most bars per square meter in the world.  I have a huge smile on my face right now...

Tonight I will lie on my bed restlessly dreaming of the year ahead.  I've spent the last month in San Diego, catching up with family and friends and taking a pause between adventures.  Now my mind is filling with the inevitible questions about the future: What will happen to me?  Who will I meet?  What adventures will I embark upon?  What disasters will befall me?  Where will I be in a year?  


This is not the first time I've jumped into the unknown, but tonight I'm doing the same thing I always do before I take a leap of faith.  I'm looking into my own eyes in the mirror, reminding myself of my goals, my purpose and - above all - my ability to adapt to whatever comes in my path. 


One can only spend so much time thinking about the future.  For now I'm focused on the moment.  See you in a few days, once I get settled down in Spain.  Wish me luck!
-Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment